Rotella Oil T6 might have killed my bike - Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Rotella Oil T6 might have killed my bike

Hello guys, i have a 2014 zx14r that has only 3123 miles on it now and now my motor has locked up. Ok i changed my oil at 558 miles on the bike really didn't need to but i heard great reviews about the oil in drag bikes and a couple of guys i know that's using the oil now. First it started smoking when i would down shift, i was riding last friday on the way back home was crusing around 120 me and another bike and a mustang pulled up on side of use and started gooseing it and i slowed down to about 80 then i dropped down to 4th gear and nailed it. I got it to around 145 by the time i passed the car and i backed down then i saw a pile of white smoke, it stopped then i rode a little more no light came on. I slowed down for traffic and came to a stop now in 1st gear then as i left more white smoke i stopped and turned the bike off and it wont start now. I tried to turn it over by hand wouldn't go clockwise but when i turned it counter clockwise it turned then the bolt untighted. Any help here on the cause of what happen here and what i can do to fix this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 AM

It's under warranty, right?...
Either way, I'd doubt it was the oil that was the cause. There's a handful of guys here that know everything there is to know about the 14... I'm sure they'll chime in.
More detail will help them diagnose... any sounds? were you still under power until you shut it off? white smoke from where? (pipe? or motor?) any performance mods? what bolt are you talking about loosening up? smells? - gas...oil...coolant? Have you checked oil and coolant levels since?
Answering these will get you headed in the right direction.
Good luck...but it sounds very expensive...

Any twelve people who can't get themselves out of jury duty are not my peers.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2017, 07:43 AM

Not likely that Rotella caused the problem.
Welcome to the site.

Retired MSF RIDERCOACH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to KZScott
highly unlikely that a good oil like that caused the issue( i know some guys use it in their H2s). now if you used canola oil, i would think theres some weight to the argument, but i dont think its an oil brand problem.

01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 on dot tires, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, 55 shot... turbo 8.32 @ 173
00 ZX-12R 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Worlds Fastest NA Kawasaki
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 249.5 1.5: 266.5 Worlds fastest ZX-12R CMG Racing RCC Turbos
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

no sounds where made dropped down in gear for traffic to first then seen white smoke to as i was leaving and then i pulled over to turn it off and it wouldn't start back up. I got it home to check to see if i could turn it over by hand and it was a no go. Im going to tare into it. no warranty got it from a auction with 558 miles on it and like i said it has 3123 miles on it and i was getting ready to do a oil change at the 3000 mile mark.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

i only have a d&d shorty pipe that i added and got rid of the 2 pipes single side, the oil level is good, the coolant level is good, but the crazy thing is i have oil coming from my throttle bodies or dripping down from the volicity stacks, and the smoke is coming from out the exhaust pipe. i have wheeled the bike maybe 6 times out the 3 months that i have been riding the bike and i don't go pass 150 mphs because she gets loose in the front end and I know, I know I need to put a stabilizer on it that next after i get her back up and running. But I have to go back and pick it up to check again the fluid levels since it happen its been going on the 3rd day since it happen and its killing me right now. That bike turn heads for show.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM

That sucks, man... the fact that it won't turn over is scary... I'd drain the oil first (or drop the pan) and see if there's metal chunks/shavings in it. If there is...you're going to be looking at a complete teardown and overhaul...or a brand new motor. Do you have the tools & experience to drop the motor and open it up?

Any twelve people who can't get themselves out of jury duty are not my peers.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Auction means the bike might have done 558 miles on the back wheel. The motor's blown, there is no doubt but, still worth opening it to have a look at what went wrong. I'll bet you find trashed bearings and signs of visits to the rev limiter.

Crotchety Rocket
2001 ZX9R
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Pull the spark plugs. It may have a bad head gasket and filled up a cylinder giving you a hydrostatic lock condition.

Tazio "02 12R, '63 Bonneville
post #10 of 10 Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Well i dropped the motor and guess what i found oil on the intake side in the number 2 port on the first cylinder. Took the head off and the #1 cylinder was full of oil and oil is still holding in the in the valve no leaking. I have come to the conclusion that it has come from me wheelieing the bike. I think the valve seat is messed up.

Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode