Oil light flickering - Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Oil light flickering

Help!!! I have a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14. Yesterday I was riding for about an hour and half. On my way home my oil warning light came on. I let off on the throttle and light went off. Then it would flicker. More throttle light would come on. I have not changed oil lately. Which I read most threads talk about burping. Don't think thats a problem. I also noticed the horn was not working. I was worried about no oil in motor. So I dropped a quart of oil into the motor. I was out in the Texas hill country so I did not want to damage the motor. I got home riding very slowly trying to keep light off. It continued to flicker. going off and coming on bright. Once I got home I thought maybe the horn was stuck so I tapped it with a wrench lightly. Now the horn works but oil light still flickers. I think I may have either added too much oil or maybe it needs more. Or maybe electrical. This bike has been an awesome bike with no troubles. Sitting on kickstand no oil shows in window. When bike sits up straight it goes up to line and maybe even more. I am thinking that extra quart should not have been added. But I would think if I over filled it I would be able to see when on kickstand the window might show 1/4 or 1/2 full meaning I over filled. Motor never sounded any different. No ticking like short of oil. All the other threads I have read deal with just adding oil or oil change and burping. Don't think this is my issue. Please help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 10:32 AM

I always fill my oil to the top line on the sightglass. When on the stand, you wont see oil in the sightglass, you have to have the bike upright and on a level surface. Im at 15K miles and have always filled to the top line. Full synthetic every 2000 miles. Almost sounds like an electrical issue.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lou zx12r
The light usually lights if pressure is low do to lack of oil or a bad sensor. Maybe it's coincidence that the horn stopped working around the same time, maybe not. As stated above, I also keep my oil level at the top mark of the sight glass. I pre fill the filter but this isn't your issue. I would place the bike on level ground, straight up and down and check the oil level, adjust as necessary. If still flickers look into sensor or wiring issues.

Lou

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2012 zx14r
2009 Concours 14
2000 zx12r
One day at a Time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 02:50 PM

You have an electrical issue.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 AM

If you added a qt of oil to it and it only came up to the bottom line when the bike is upright you are very low on oil. When was the last time you changed it? What oil you got in it? What filter? You still might have a electrical issue but something doesn't sound right with the oil amount. I have had a couple of k and n and two of the new china filters from kawi not seal like they should and dripped oil for a bit until I noticed it on my weekly chain maintenance. Redsled.

Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode