zx14 vibration issue - Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

zx14 vibration issue

Hey Guys. I just bought a beautiful zx14. I love the bike. but I am having an irritating vibration in higher gears at higher speeds. Lets say at 4000 rpm's in 6th gear at 100mph. If you drill past to higher speeds, the vibration still stays there.

There is no loss of power. just and irritating vibration. The bike is totally stock and is an immaculate 2011 ZX14R.

I have heard of taking the counter balancers out and having the crank balanced might help. It is for sure an engine vibration. if I pull in the clutch, the vibration goes away.

Does anybody have an educated fix to this common problem I am having?

Please let me know before I go spending 1000's of dollars trying to figure out whats wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-21-2015, 04:58 AM

Someone on zx1441 may be able to help. Pretty sure the first year for the 14r was 2012 if I am not mistaken.

2000 ZX12/2006 Hayabusa (race bike)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 AM

You are correct, sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 AM

IN our area (I live in the same city as the original poster) there are a lot of dealers that try to pass off a zx14 as a 14r. I've seen them go as far as put the 14r decals on the 14. If that's what happened in this case I would be consulting a lawyer.

post #5 of 10 Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM

You could easily tell the difference just by looking at the side of the bike.....fins are a dead give away....amongst other small differences....but the fins are the easiest...

"In a world full of hate.....There is nothing left to divide."
T. J. Maiden ca. 1994

What's wrong with you people? The sky is MANY colors throughout the day....not JUST BLUE!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-21-2015, 08:58 AM

You are right but to someone who doesnt know exactly what to look for, (not saying original poster didnt) they may not know. There are a ton of buy here/pay here used bike shops in our area and some are shady to say the least.

post #7 of 10 Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Guys, that was a typo. I added the r on accident. I know what the difference is, and I have narrowed down the issue. It's not the engine. it's something else
post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2016, 07:40 PM

I had something similar on my ZX12R. There was a vibration and clunk from the disc buttons and also the design on original discs are such that they might warp easy and when your bike is cold the discs are cold but as you ride they rub a little if they have a little warp and they heat at the same time making the warp worse and at speed the heat gets such that the discs warp more and caused a vibration. Clunk from the buttons is nothing to be worried about and this is very common and it is not really a fault. But traditional discs can develop a warp very easy because the heat expansion has nowhere to go and the disc gets warped and worse when it heats up. If you can feel it in your handle bar and it is getting worse when the bike warms up that is most likely the reason. Often speed has a factor too.

I would recommend EBC Floating MC Rotors and EPFA Sintered Fast Street and Trackday Pads. Don't use these pads for rear. For rear use Double-H™ Sintered Superbike Brake Pads they have more feel.

Here is a link if you are interested.

Floating MC Rotors - EBC Brakes

Just remember if you are going to get new discs you can't use old pads. Also new discs need to run in so don't ask of them too much too soon. Some material from the pads has to transfer to the disks before the brakes start to work. If you ask too much too soon two things will happen. One you won't have good braking power. Two you will overheat and warp the discs and destroy them.

But in my experience also engine mounts if left loose and were not checked on service can cause a vibration. Once I also had a faulty tyre that wasn’t moulded right and caused a vibration on speeds. Also check the wheel balance. Check the tire for damage that there is no cuts or any other visible damage that can flap around.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 PM

If noise goes away when u pull clutch... Usually something clutch related...

Check balance of tires...
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecte99 View Post

Check balance of tires...

when my front tire gets a little out of balance I'll start noticing it @ 100 & up

I usually rebalance the front a couple times before it's worn out

Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode