Kawasaki World banner

Major Service

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Duck 
#1 ·
In my previous thread I was going through the trials and tribulations of finding oil on the spark plugs and tossing up whether to have a crack at the valve cover myself. After deciding not to and the fact that doing the valve clearances at the same time would make sense, I went into the shop today to have a chat.

The plan is to put it in for a major service on Wednesday. They quoted $780 AUD and will supply the following parts and work:

Air filter
Valve cover and plug gaskets
Valve clearances
Change spark plugs (which I'll supply)

and as a returning customer they'll do the oil/filter change and coolant change free. Given the above work only for $780, I don't reckon it's free.

I reckon I'm getting touched up a little. He was talking $70 odd for the air filter until I said I priced it at $54 from their own parts dept.

What else should be included in a major service for the 11?

Cheers Guys.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Max. Good to know. Just talking with a mate who reckons labor rates are around $100 an hour these days. The shop stated 5 hours for the job so obviously there's $500 right off the cuff.

$54 Air filter
$8 each plug gasket
$70 i think for the valve cover gasket

That's $680 there alone.

Hard times have meant the old girl has been neglected for a couple of years. Very much looking forward to picking it up Wednesday afternoon. Hope I get something interesting as a loaner for the day.

#5 ·
Also make sure they give you a valve adjustment sheet....

It will show a diagram of the intake and exhaust valves, and it will state how much out of spec they where... And then it should say what they all ended up at after they switched shims...

Any reputable shop will do this as proof of the job well done.

This is again if they do the valve adjustment... Not just checking the valves...

But looking at the price they quoted it would seem there including it...

Maybe have them clean lube and adjust the chain if you dont already...

Uhm... Cant think of anything else...

#6 ·
This is good advice, one way of checking if they have done the shims. If you're able to drop the bike off today (Tuesday arvo) then they can start work early as they need to do it while the engine is not hot (obvious heat while working and recommended in service manuals for best readings of valve gaps).

Don.

#9 ·
The 11 was in for the major service yesterday and I couldn't be happier with the quality and thoroughness of their work. I should have known better than to doubt my Kawasaki dealer/service center. I've been using them for 8 years and bought 2 bikes off them and have never had an issue. It even came in under quote. Quoted $780 - Paid $769

The bike feels and runs heaps better, and overall everything feels tighter.

Work performed:

Replaced engine oil
Replaced oil filter
Replaced brake fluid
Checked and adjusted valve clearances (all exhaust were valves out of spec)
Replaced spark plugs
Flushed and bled coolant
Replaced air filter
Inspected and balanced carbs
Adjusted, degreased and lubed chain
Adjusted levers and cables
Checked and adjusted steering head bearings
Lubed pivot points
Checked battery and and charge rate
Tyre pressures
Checked lights, indicators and horn
Road test

They gave me a new EX 300 Ninja as a loaner. What a terrible experience. I'm 6ft 1", nuff said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.