My new dual sport - Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-12-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kapp555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 108
My new dual sport

So I sold my ktm 640 enduro. It was really vibey, never had a bike that vibey, even perfectly tuned and everything torqued down it was vibey. Also, it was too tall for me at over 38 inch seat height. So I sold it for a profit and bought something else. An ATK 605, older bike 1996 with low miles. Get this original only 1246 original miles

So I have a lot of work ahead of me with a tear down and check. It runs good, just not idling well, likely has very old gas in it the carb might be gummed up. Its an old bike, but the components are all good. brembo, WP suspencion, talon hubs, the wheels are built like tank wheels never seen such thick spokes. The seat is as hard as a rock so ill get that rebuilt and softened, ill also take an inch out of the seat to lower it to my height better. its not as tall at the KTM, but its still tall 36.5 inch seat height. Needs a full fluid change, forks, engine oil etc.

has a rotax engine, which i have zero experience with. These have a timing belt thats needs regular replacement. Since my bike is so old and low miles I will replace the belt for prevention.





It feels about on par with my KTM in terms of power. Its rated at 48hp and the flat trackers get up to 70hp from these engines. I'll be happy with the 48 hp and well tuned suspension for adv riding.
Kapp555 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: West Of The Mississippi
Posts: 7,910
Cool bike!

I've got a Yamaha TT600 that I'm doing a ground-up on.

Hilarious story with mine:

I mentioned to some co-workers that I was looking for an old thumper to restore. A friend of mine said "Ya know I think Jim has an old Yamaha. Maybe he might want to sell it?".

So I call Jim at work and he says he has an '83 Yamaha TT600 that doesn't start too good but runs good once started.

So on a Saturday morning I go over to Jim's house to take a look at the bike.

There is Jim in the driveway, sweating profusely, trying to get the bike started. BTW - Jim is a pretty big boy so I KNOW this thing is a bitch to start. LOL

Finally he gets it started and it sounds good. No smoke, everything is there. It's been put away wet a few times but nothing I can't fix.

So, cash exchanges hands, I get the original certificate of origin, load the bike up and I'm on my way home.

Now, I owned both a Honda XL-500 and XL-600 back in the eighties and I know if you start them right, they are not too bad - do it wrong and they can break a leg.

So I start tearing the old TT600 down and the first thing I find that is wrong? The automatic compression release cable is broken. LOL

I still haven't had the heart to tell Jim that he'd been starting the bike with no compression release all those years. ;-)

As far as the motor in your bike, Rotax has made good motors for a long, long time.

If memory serves me correctly, they are related to Bombardier and are Canadian.

I got a list of demands written on the palm of my hand...
Blitzkrieg is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
nedragr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Minot, N. Dak.
Posts: 4,459
Nice ride....good find.

Just talked with a gentleman from Illinois this weekend at a FSSNOC (Four Stroke Singles National Owners Club) ThumperCafe event. Has a street legal flat tracker with 19" rims that he was trying to temp me with??

Seize the day.............live richer tommorrow!!
Current Stable http://www.bikepics.com/members/nedragr/
nedragr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kapp555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
Cool bike!

I've got a Yamaha TT600 that I'm doing a ground-up on.

Hilarious story with mine:

I mentioned to some co-workers that I was looking for an old thumper to restore. A friend of mine said "Ya know I think Jim has an old Yamaha. Maybe he might want to sell it?".

So I call Jim at work and he says he has an '83 Yamaha TT600 that doesn't start too good but runs good once started.

So on a Saturday morning I go over to Jim's house to take a look at the bike.

There is Jim in the driveway, sweating profusely, trying to get the bike started. BTW - Jim is a pretty big boy so I KNOW this thing is a bitch to start. LOL

Finally he gets it started and it sounds good. No smoke, everything is there. It's been put away wet a few times but nothing I can't fix.

So, cash exchanges hands, I get the original certificate of origin, load the bike up and I'm on my way home.

Now, I owned both a Honda XL-500 and XL-600 back in the eighties and I know if you start them right, they are not too bad - do it wrong and they can break a leg.

So I start tearing the old TT600 down and the first thing I find that is wrong? The automatic compression release cable is broken. LOL

I still haven't had the heart to tell Jim that he'd been starting the bike with no compression release all those years. ;-)

As far as the motor in your bike, Rotax has made good motors for a long, long time.

If memory serves me correctly, they are related to Bombardier and are Canadian.
OMG poor guy didnt even know the "technique" for starting the big thumpers. I briefly had an xr650r and if you didnt get the compression kick down you would curse and kick all day long. I know exactly what you are saying.

The ATK has electric and kick start. The battery is pretty weak. I charged it last night and it did take a charge, but I have reservation about it holding a charge for the long run so Ill replace it.

Lets see some pics of the TT. Those arte very good bikes and extremely reliable. I have ridden them before, huge power.
Kapp555 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kapp555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedragr View Post
Nice ride....good find.

Just talked with a gentleman from Illinois this weekend at a FSSNOC (Four Stroke Singles National Owners Club) ThumperCafe event. Has a street legal flat tracker with 19" rims that he was trying to temp me with??
I hear with the right cams, carb upgrade, jetting and getting the head and valves done these engines will easily do 70hp, which is pretty crazy for a 280lb bike.

I assume these dual sports are under tuned from the factory for dual sport use. This is fine with me 80% of my dual sport riding is fire roads and exploring. I road it around some this morning and it pulls pretty nicely. easy to power wheelie in 1st and 2nd and a little tug in 3rd.

Oh theres a local guy I have been talking to who rides his 605 with 19 inch wheels for the street. he said it not quite a supermoto, but it moves pretty good for him on the road. This bike is geared for offroad and 1st gear is like a tractor, just how I like it.
Kapp555 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
nedragr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Minot, N. Dak.
Posts: 4,459
Please don't take this as a thread jack but as a slight bump to those who own the one lungers. After the good time we had at this recent rally, it's opened up new doors just as the ZX12R site did years ago. The guys that find passion in the thumper are truely one of a kind.....genually old Director's Page

Short read of the trip by Motor Mike (Kansas)
Motor Mike Goes To North Dakota
The Minot Mafia was in attendance..9 in total....all on big singles....all riding out of the same shop.

Anyways........read join and attend a rally in your neck of the woods.

Seize the day.............live richer tommorrow!!
Current Stable http://www.bikepics.com/members/nedragr/
nedragr is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: West Of The Mississippi
Posts: 7,910
The thumpers are definitely a different motor. A beautiful design. Simplicity in motion.

I fondly remember falling in love with the torque on my XL-500 & XL-600. Thumpers are truly the type of motor that you can enjoy the ride on and not worry about what your left foot is doing - off a gear or two? Doesn't matter - just roll the throttle on and she'll get you there. A simpler time if you will.

I'm planning on plating the old TT when I get her back together. The laws here are actually fairly conducive to doing that providing you can prove ownership. I have the original cert of origin so that should be fairly painless.

I'm planning on going more enduro tire-wise because she will be driven to the off road, not trailered.

She shall thump again soon. :-)

I got a list of demands written on the palm of my hand...
Blitzkrieg is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
ZuminaZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,041
Have fun blitz, and make sure you find yourself a Yamaha CDI for that TT. My father gave me his 83 XT550 after he broke the chain and put a nice hole in the case. I fixed the hole and rode it for an hour only to have the CDI fail. The TT has all the same problems the XT has, piss-poor suspension, brakes, and carb setup. I use my XT as a scooter having taken it offroad and realized how terrible it is.

I've been looking for a clean 605 myself, they're hard to find, even in Utah where they were made! They're extremely well-built, tip the scales just over 300lbs, and are great in the desert. I especially like the large oil capacity and not having to constantly worry about boiling over.
ZuminaZX is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kapp555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuminaZX View Post
I've been looking for a clean 605 myself, they're hard to find, even in Utah where they were made! They're extremely well-built, tip the scales just over 300lbs, and are great in the desert. I especially like the large oil capacity and not having to constantly worry about boiling over.
There are only a couple bike makers who really suit my kind of riding. Which is desert, double and single track and fire roads. I also will ride this bike on the street. I dont own a trailer nor do i want one. I had to have electric start because kicking in the desert gets old or if you stall in mud or on a hill, its just so easy to hit the magic button.

Yah the air cooled ATk seems to be fitting the bill. has all the requirements I have in a dual sport reliable, light, good components, and fairly vibe free. The new KTm and husqvarnas are great bikes but I cant shell out that kinda money. These old ATK's can be bought very cheap!
Kapp555 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
ZuminaZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,041
Check out American Dirt Bike Inc. for 605 performance parts. I almost bought a slightly abused 98 605 last month for $1500 but passed at the last moment. I was a fool for doing so considering my wife spent more than that while on Newbury St.....
ZuminaZX is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
ZuminaZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,041
Oh, and rotax is Austrian and they make/design all of KTMs, a lot of Aprilias, and the buell 1125r motors. They also made all of the 2 stroke motors for seadoo/bombardier throughout the late 80s and 90s.
ZuminaZX is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kapp555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 108
Yah Zumina i researched the motorcycle pretty well before I got one. I know about the engine and components. This is a 1996, I paid 1600. It was in storage for a long time. Basically its a new bike. I put about 50 miles on it today and its not idling well. I have already researched the idle issue and have a few things to try. I also set the timing belt and inspected it, set the valves looser than factory spec and just ran some seafoam through it. If it wasnt so hot Id run a few tanks through it today.

Bike runs great and is on par with the power of my ktm lc4. It power wheelies in 1st and 2nd and just needs a tug in 3rd. The suspension is way stiff so ill reset the sag and try and lighten the harshness of the WP suspension.

I read that the ohlins/paoli shock combo is superior to these wp set up and its common on ATK's, but If I have to Ill respring this wp suspension and it will be fine for me.
Kapp555 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 07-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Senior Member
 
ZuminaZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapp555 View Post
Yah Zumina i researched the motorcycle pretty well before I got one. I know about the engine and components. This is a 1996, I paid 1600. It was in storage for a long time. Basically its a new bike. I put about 50 miles on it today and its not idling well. I have already researched the idle issue and have a few things to try. I also set the timing belt and inspected it, set the valves looser than factory spec and just ran some seafoam through it. If it wasnt so hot Id run a few tanks through it today.

Bike runs great and is on par with the power of my ktm lc4. It power wheelies in 1st and 2nd and just needs a tug in 3rd. The suspension is way stiff so ill reset the sag and try and lighten the harshness of the WP suspension.

I read that the ohlins/paoli shock combo is superior to these wp set up and its common on ATK's, but If I have to Ill respring this wp suspension and it will be fine for me.
That's it. I'm looking for another one! All this ATK talk has pushed me over the proverbial edge.
ZuminaZX is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kapp555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuminaZX View Post
That's it. I'm looking for another one! All this ATK talk has pushed me over the proverbial edge.
If you get one I will meet you up in moab and we'll do a couple days off offroading! I have my idle issue figured out and it is very strange. The idle screw can dent the slide in the delorto carb stopping it from idling correctly. this along with the choke cable caused it to run rich. The runnign rich is cured but I need a new slide for the carb or to have this one welded (which requires a bit of skill i dont have). Ill have it sorted by next week, cant ride anyways in phoenix its too hot!
Kapp555 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Member
 
VinnieZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,520
Looks like a lot of fun! Is it really a lot smoother (less vibey, I think is the words you would use) than the KTM?

I pulled my KTM 625 SMC out last weekend and rode around a little last weekend - bike is a blast as long as your wide open on the throttle! Otherwise, it really is an uncomfortable "vibey" commuter bike. Just not real smooth.

Have fun with the new toy!
VinnieZX12R is offline  
Reply

  Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki World > Off Road

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to get a used dual sport bike bldragon KLR KLX 0 09-25-2009 07:51 PM
2009 Kawasaki Dual Sport at the Cycle World motorcycle show Lash KLR KLX 3 05-14-2009 10:30 PM
Ping Adventure/Dual Sport Riders big-ron KLR KLX 34 04-23-2008 05:17 AM
Roketa Dual Sport 200cc VOZ Off Road 3 05-14-2007 02:43 PM
Dual Sport dilemma tslewisz Off Road 5 01-19-2007 05:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome