ZX-14 | ZX-12R | ZX-11 | ZX-10R | ZX-9R | ZX-7R | ZX-6R | 500R | 250R | Concours14 | Z1000 | Z750 | Versys | Vulcan | KLR | KLX

1984 900 Ninja

This is a discussion on 1984 900 Ninja within the General Discussion forums, part of the Kawasaki World category; I bought the original ninja off the show room floor back in the day - still have the original sales brochure and the pitted cam ...


Kawasaki Forums
Go Back   Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki World > General Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
olgry1's Avatar
 
From: Chicagoland
Joined: Jan 2009

I Ride: BMW R1200RT S-1000rr

Posts: 172
1984 900 Ninja

I bought the original ninja off the show room floor back in the day - still have the original sales brochure and the pitted cam that Kawasaki warrantied hanging in my garage. It was my fourth bike but my first sport bike.

Been looking for a good one over the past few years. Most of the ones I saw looked like they were rode hard and put away wet. Recently found one on craigslist - 2nd owner, 12,000 miles, all stock down to the reflectors and from pics looks clean - price is over $5K. There was another 84 listed a week later for $3.5K that looked pretty decent but the miles were 29K and it had an aftermarket exhuast on it.

$5K seems like a lot of money for a motorcycle made in 1984 but they are starting to become "antiques". Any thoughts on the value of the orginal ninja? Thanks
   
 
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Davieboy's Avatar
 
From: Charleston, SC. US
Joined: Dec 2011

I Ride: 2000 ZX-12R Ninja
I Race: 2007 GSX-R 750

Posts: 596
1984 900 Ninja

Quote:
$5K seems like a lot of money for a motorcycle made in 1984 but they are starting to become "antiques". Any thoughts on the value of the orginal ninja? Thanks
$ 5,000.00 is definitely too much. They're not antiques just yet, but that's just my opinion.

I owned a 1985 ZL 900 Eliminator back in the 80s (..my 2nd bike). They have the same engine as the 900 Ninja. This bike was made only in '84 and '85 and then it got discontinued...dunno' why because it was very beautiful, fast, and powerful. At that time, it had the widest rear tire on the market - 160 (!!!), which was smaller than its front tire (15 vs. 18), and was operated by a shaft drive. It was really quick from "redlight to redlight".
I posted a couple of pictures bellow...



I sure wish I still had one of these in my garage!

Last edited by Davieboy; 02-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.
   
 
Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jhinderliter's Avatar
 
From: central il
Joined: May 2004

I Ride: 01 12r,07 FJR,96 FZR600,86 GSXR750,84 RZ,06 CRF250R,06 250 recon,06 200KDX,04 CRF230,98 916
I Race: Z-50 , XR 80 , TTR 90 in the yard... and Hard!

Posts: 2,375
a clean , unmolested , loved and well maintained bike will fetch a premium
i keep an eye out for that red , blue and silver 86 gsxr 1100 i shoulda never sold...
ive seen minty clean , low mileage examples go for 5...
   
 
Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
winters19's Avatar
 
From: Indiana
Joined: Oct 2011

I Ride: 2000 ZX12R

Posts: 366
There is a guy on the Toledo Craigslist selling a nice one for $2700

1984 Kawasaki GPZ 900 Ninja
   
 
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
olgry1's Avatar
 
From: Chicagoland
Joined: Jan 2009

I Ride: BMW R1200RT S-1000rr

Posts: 172
Thanks for the input

I guess the next step is to actually take a look at it to see if it is as good as it sounds and worth the premium.

Thanks again
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
maxumis's Avatar
 
From: sydney australia
Joined: Aug 2010

I Ride: 05zx12r
I Race: 05zx12r

Posts: 3,438
Quote:
a clean , unmolested , loved and well maintained bike will fetch a premium
i keep an eye out for that red , blue and silver 86 gsxr 1100 i shoulda never sold...
ive seen minty clean , low mileage examples go for 5...
to your comment Makes me wish i still had my RG500
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
my12r's Avatar
 
From: Pure Bred Minnestrohtan
Joined: Mar 2011

I Ride: A Green Missile
I Race: My shadow.....

Posts: 3,402
I don't care what ANYBODY says....ain't no way in hell ANY 1984 rice burner is worth 5k.

Why the hell would I spend that money on an antique bike when for the same money I can nab up a nice 9R, 10R, hell, even a 12R....Like wipin before ya poop...makes no damn sense....

Nostalgic value and actual value are 2 completely different things. I LOVE my 12R, but know I would NEVER see 5k for it...and it's TWICE THE BIKE!!!!

People think these old high mileage dinosaurs are worth gold. I spose, those just starting out don't know any better, but shit.

One thing to keep in mind, when I see a low low mileage bike from that era or older, I don't see a babied well maintained bike, I see a bike that has sat around most of its life and has dried out seals and gaskets and dry, scorned cylinders. Bike engines suffer the same shit car engines do. They sit long enough, things dry out. Then, once you go drop that serious coin on it and start using it, the seals and gaskets blow out and leak everywhere....yadda yadda yadda....

If it's worth it to you to overspend for a "memory", by all means, go for it. The ONLY reason I bought my 12R is because the guy wasn't out of his mind. He was asking the exact right money for the bike. Hell, he even cut me a couple hun break to cover transfer costs.

Why people spend ungodly money for antique technology when better technology is out there for the same, and often less, than that old thing is beyond me. It's buying crap like that that keeps folks thinking they can charge 2 arms and a few legs for their old crap to begin with...

With significant mods, MAYBE you can overcharge, but it is no longer a stock machine, but to charge for the stock machine what the stock machine went for almost 30 years ago?!?!?!...you on crack cocaine smoke!

   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
From: Integrity Street
Joined: Sep 2006

I Ride: Kawasaki, baby...
I Race: ZX-14, ZX-14R

Posts: 4,155
$5k is nothing to pay for an original like that, if it is in pristine condition, imo. One of the ultimate classic Kawasaki's that will only appreciate in value. The 900 Ninja changed the game in a lot of ways.

Anyone price a mint 1979 CBX lately?
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
jhinderliter's Avatar
 
From: central il
Joined: May 2004

I Ride: 01 12r,07 FJR,96 FZR600,86 GSXR750,84 RZ,06 CRF250R,06 250 recon,06 200KDX,04 CRF230,98 916
I Race: Z-50 , XR 80 , TTR 90 in the yard... and Hard!

Posts: 2,375
Quote:

relax francis
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jhinderliter's Avatar
 
From: central il
Joined: May 2004

I Ride: 01 12r,07 FJR,96 FZR600,86 GSXR750,84 RZ,06 CRF250R,06 250 recon,06 200KDX,04 CRF230,98 916
I Race: Z-50 , XR 80 , TTR 90 in the yard... and Hard!

Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Anyone price a mint 1979 CBX lately?
they are almost as much as one of them CF limited edition buells
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
my12r's Avatar
 
From: Pure Bred Minnestrohtan
Joined: Mar 2011

I Ride: A Green Missile
I Race: My shadow.....

Posts: 3,402
I guess I just don't see it myself. Key word is "was" a game changer. Been several of those since.. There are some classics that deserve a premium. I just don't know if a rocket is one......yet. We can hope. In this market and economy, plenty of vultures out there to take advantage of those trying to save a buck on gas.....

Kawasaki in general has always been a game changer. I guess it's just my nit picky attitude on some things that clouds my appreciation. Or it could be the plethora of junk on the internet that folks think gold.

I had the '86 1000R, a great bike, but the 12R made that thing feel like a moped! I couldn't twist the throttle far enough on it!

I still think the money better spent on something newer, with better technology, easily available parts ect....To each their own....

I know a guy that had a '79 CBX....sold it for $350....it wasn't in bad shape at all. Ran like a top. No rust or nothin...aftermarket exhaust....had like 20k on the clock. Said it "took up too much space" in his garage and was "too old"....this was 7 years ago or so...think it had 1 dent in that aftermarket exhaust....on the bottom...

Lookin at the list these days, I can imagine it prolly lists for $39,585..

Last edited by my12r; 02-20-2012 at 11:40 AM.
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
From: Integrity Street
Joined: Sep 2006

I Ride: Kawasaki, baby...
I Race: ZX-14, ZX-14R

Posts: 4,155
Quote:
I still think the money better spent on something newer, with better technology, easily available parts ect....To each their own....

I know a guy that had a '79 CBX....sold it for $350....it wasn't in bad shape at all. Ran like a top. No rust or nothin...aftermarket exhaust....had like 20k on the clock. Said it "took up too much space" in his garage and was "too old"....this was 7 years ago or so...think it had 1 dent in that aftermarket exhaust....on the bottom...

Lookin at the list these days, I can imagine it prolly lists for $39,585..
Yeah, think of how cool it would be to have an original CBR600 F4!!!

Like you say, to each their own!
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
holeshot's Avatar
 
From: Gainesville.......
Joined: Feb 2010

I Ride: zx12 2002 and 02 ZRX1200
I Race: ZX12R 2002

Posts: 1,566
Anyone can ask whatever they want for anything they are trying to sell...It`s trying to find the one person willing to pay what you are asking for what you are selling...There`s always someone out there willing to pay the price because to them it`s worth it because they are that much into what you are selling....Sometimes it`s a car,motorcycle,electronic device,ect.ect.ect....Believe me,there`s people out there that are just ate up on GPZ900 NINJA`s....I`m not one of them,but just get on one of their web sites and they talk about them like we do about the ZX12R.....
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
mully76's Avatar
 
From: London
Joined: Jul 2009

I Ride: ZRX 1100 & ZX12R
I Race: NONE....YET

Posts: 189
I personally view this topic a little different and have recently been bitten bt the GPZ900R bug myself. The prices in the UK seem to be far cheaper than in the US. I have seen a pristine specimen not sell at 1500 recently on Ebay and another went for 1400 a few weeks back. I whole heartedly agree with MY12R on the issue of paying over the odds for old tech and bikes that don't handle half as good as equipment for half the money is more nostalgia over sense, however (had to be a however) i think older bikes have a certain something these modern day plastic crotch rockets don't, call it style, rareness, presence whatever you may. I like the fact that GPZ900R is rare on the roads giving it more individuality. In regard to handling thats where the modding begins (that fuggin bug) and yes you may end up spending more money than a more modern bike but by doing so everytime you open that garage door and see something you have spilled your guts into and created for me the feeling is priceless. You can get a old bike to handle very well solongs you set it up right and in the process get a very unique looking machine just like this one. If i manage to get a GPZ then i will probaly spent just as much as the bikes initial outlay just on mods. As i have said before i love older bikes with modern equipment fitted. Done well with all original styling features kept nothing comes close for me. Style and function in one beautiful package.Well thats my 2pence worth


Last edited by mully76; 02-20-2012 at 01:08 PM.
   
 
Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
winters19's Avatar
 
From: Indiana
Joined: Oct 2011

I Ride: 2000 ZX12R

Posts: 366
Quote:
I personally view this topic a little different and have recently been bitten bt the GPZ900R bug myself. The prices in the UK seem to be far cheaper than in the US. I have seen a pristine specimen not sell at 1500 recently on Ebay and another went for 1400 a few weeks back. I whole heartedly agree with MY12R on the issue of paying over the odds for old tech and bikes that don't handle half as good as equipment for half the money is more nostalgia over sense, however (had to be a however) i think older bikes have a certain something these modern day plastic crotch rockets don't, call it style, rareness, presence whatever you may. I like the fact that GPZ900R is rare on the roads giving it more individuality. In regard to handling thats where the modding begins (that fuggin bug) and yes you may end up spending more money than a more modern bike but by doing so everytime you open that garage door and see something you have spilled your guts into and created for me the feeling is priceless. You can get a old bike to handle very well solongs you set it up right and in the process get a very unique looking machine just like this one. If i manage to get a GPZ then i will probaly spent just as much as the bikes initial outlay just on mods. As i have said before i love older bikes with modern equipment fitted. Done well with all original styling features kept nothing comes close for me. Style and function in one beautiful package.Well thats my 2pence worth

What pisses me off is that in the USA they quit importing the GPZ and stopped production all together in 2003 on the other side of the pond.... WHY!!!!! Bike has taste, and would have most def bought one if they kept making them.
   
Reply

  Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki World > General Discussion


Search tags for this page

1984 900 ninja

,

1984 kawasaki ninja 900 for sale

,
1984 kawasaki ninja 900 forum
,

1984 ninja 900

,

1984 ninja 900 for sale

,
1985 kawasaki 900 ninja forum
,

900 ninja

,

gpz 900 mods

,
gpz900 mods
,
how does the 1984 ninja compare to modern bikes?
,
kawasaki 900 ninja
,
kawasaki ninja 900 1984
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja The story of the ninja zx-12r silver book getsomegreen Classifieds 0 11-24-2011 06:38 PM
1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750 Ninja - mod help plz jamheat ZX-7R 3 03-26-2011 03:49 PM