Is this legal??? - Kawasaki Forum ::
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Palm Beach FL
Posts: 24
Is this legal???

I bought my 12R here in FL, and my only reason for buying is was because FL doesn't require insurance on motorcycles. But I'm moving to Knoxville TN in about a month or so, and I'm 20, and won't be able to afford insurance for awhile... (I'm going into college...)

So I'm wondering so long as my parents stay in FL and maintain an address down here would I be able to register my bike in FL, and ride it in TN with no insurance?

Also I already switched my license and my truck's registration/insurance over to TN. Did that to.... well save on insurance 8) I mention that because I know I'll get my chops busted over a TN license and a FL plate....

Any thoughts would be appricated

2002 Limited Blue ZX-12R. Lowered front/rear, muzzy titanium exhaust.
02Kwakiguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 5,910
That's a real good question and to be honest, I'm not sure. Most states require that you a have minimum of liability insurance but that also is directed at vehicles registered in said state. I think your best next step is to call Tn DMV and see if you can get a straight answer ( I know, lots of luck :roll: :wink: ).

My gut feeling is that if the vehicle is legal in the state it's registered it's okay to be driven in another state. That typically holds true for normal equipment topics, etc. The cavet in your case is that you have a TN license, indicating that you are in fact a resident.

I'd call and state that you have two residences, one in FL and one in TN. Tell them that you normally keep and ride the bike in FL but on occassion bring it up to TN for rides.

This is one topic that I wouldn't risk not knowing the answer on. State fines and license penalties are usually very steep if you are found guilty of riding w/o insurance. Here in NJ it's a mandatory 1 year loss of license and very steep fines.

Here's a link for TN DMV...
Bigsaint is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Palm Beach FL
Posts: 24
I've lived in FL for about 2 years and acctually never held a FL license, but my other car/truck have always been register/insured in SC.

And I just recently transfered my license/registration to TN, but I got my motorcycle license in SC, and took the test on my 12R (which had FL tags, and no insurance) and after driving 9 hours to a SC DMV I was told that I couldn't take the test on an uninsured bike no matter what state it was registered in, or what the laws are.... Given the SC DMV is THE WORST SH#T HOLE I'VE EVER BEEN IN (I really hate that state.) It's always made me wonder, if someone from FL rode threw another state with no insurance (being that it's not required), would say... a GA trooper (being that they are particularly mean.) give you a big fat ticket for it???

2002 Limited Blue ZX-12R. Lowered front/rear, muzzy titanium exhaust.
02Kwakiguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
hondakilla98's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: beaverton, OR
Posts: 281
Send a message via Yahoo to hondakilla98
Any progress? I live in oregon which requires insurance. But washington does not. When you cross the border there are signs that say insurance required and helmet required. You can be ticketed here. It doesn't matter where your bike is registered.

2000 ZX-12R, Hindle race exhaust, PcIII, Pm wheels, Muzzy links, red wind screen, zx14 mirrors, cf fender and hugger, polished ashtray, swingarm, wheels, bar ends, frame sliders, and swing arm spools, Undertail, led tail light, and adjustable kick stand.

VTEC.... All of the lag none of the turbo. Its like waiting for bad sex.
hondakilla98 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
2wheelObsessed's Avatar
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,002
Wow I had no idea there were states that didn't require ins for bikes, that's kinda crazy lol. What happens if u eat it n hurt someone or someone's property? It's just on u to pay damages and hospital bills and on them to wait for it?

4-Wheels Moves Your Body
2-Wheels Moves Your Soul
"Too Much Horse-Power!" said no one, ever...
Straight lines are for fast bikes, corners are for fast riders...
2wheelObsessed is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 367
You are obligated to follow rules of the state you are a legal resident of. Now since you possess a TN license, you have 90 days from the date you got the license to meet all state rules or you can be ticketed.

What this means is 90 days to move over title and plates of all vehicles you own and comply with state insurance requirements.

2004 zx-12r Silver Bullet * Full Akrapovic Titanium * K&N filter * 17t sprocket * Kleen delete * RidgeRacer ECU mod (speed delimiter - torque derestrictor - 4' timing advance - rev extend) * PC3 * Speedo Healer * Hyperpro Steering Damper * GSG Frame Sliders
StreetHawk is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
greensled's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 292
Yeah some states like mine here in Maryland require you to change your info over to the state you reside in within 30 days. The only time i have known to be able to get away with having a license in one state and registration and tags on the vehicle in another is if you are military.
greensled is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
greensled's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 292
Matter of fact when i lived in TN you can have your vehicle registered out of state coming but when your state insp expires only the military can re-new out of state. If you reside in TN with an address you have to re-register in TN or you can be ticketed. But hey since your bike is over 10 yrs old insurance shouldnt be too bad. Try riders insurance for liability coverage if your trying to keep it cheap.
greensled is offline  

  Kawasaki Forum :: > Kawasaki World > Ask the Police

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legal help needed jus1975 ZX-12R 19 10-02-2003 02:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome